Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Remember the Constitution?

Well, the latest version of the U.S. Congress is now seated and in session. I am not sure if that is good or bad. I am inclined to agree with the statement, "That government is best which governs least." (attr. to Thomas Paine) Honestly, I was kind of hoping for a shut down of government. We can talk about the implications and consequences of that in another post.

I will say this, I think that starting each session with a reading of the Constitution is a good idea. It may be the best idea from Congress in decades! Likewise, having to defend bills based on constitutionality will hopefully increase the amount of good legislation and put the breaks on the government takeover of the private sector and personal freedoms. Next, how about having the Constitution read aloud in public schools as well? I say only public because they are under the purview of the government as opposed to private schools, but including all schools would be nice.

My part will be to encourage us all to give the Constitution a read. Honestly, I think it may be a first read for me, as my memory of my social studies classes is somewhat dim.  So whether it is your first time or a familiar passage, give the Constitution a read. Here's the link and let us know what you think or learned!

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

Yup, first read for me, I admit it. Now, I do have the preamble memorized, thanks to Schoolhouse Rock, but I don't recall reading the body of the document. Be advised, it is a bit dry and written in old English, but don't let that scare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment