Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Back Into Pilanesberg: Third Time is a Charm

My third trip into Pilanesberg was amazing. I went on the northeast loop and was treated to giraffe on my left and a massive bull elephant right in the middle of the road. I learned my lesson and kept my distance. I followed him  for a mile or so as he strolled along eating tree limbs. Off to my right I heard other elephants trumpeting and I figured all were headed to the watering hole up ahead.

At the watering hole observation blind (accessed by a short walk to the weighted chain link security door) were two older couples from Scotland. When the bull I followed showed up he started bathing and splashing around on the far side of the watering hole, probably 1/4 mile away. The bull moved on and so did the couples.

Almost immediately the herd of elephant began to arrive. The two zebras drinking at the watering hole retreated to the bush as the elephants took over the watering hole. Only a few hundred yards away this time, I knew I was in for a treat.

I ran out of the blind to tell the couples that more elephants arrived and the couples joined me in the blind along with a family that just showed up. For the next two hours the elephants drank, swam!, fought, took mud baths, and rolled around in the watering hole. It was an amazing spectacle. I felt so blessed to see such a unique display.

I drove around the back of the park and up a mountain in search of the elusive leopards.

While driving up a long straight paved road I noticed cars and safari vehicles parked on the side of the road where I hoped to turn. I looked left and right to try to see what was so intresting. No one in the cars pointed in any direction, nor did they try to advise me as I slowly approached. Suddenly, on my left and about ten feet in front of me stood an adolescent bull elephant. He was as surprised as I was.

I stopped immediately and sheepishly shrugged at the people in the cars who had offered no help. I slowly backed away from the elephant who now had me locked in his gaze. I was about 20 feet away when he started towards me. I made sure the road behind me was clear and began backing down the road. As I backed up the elephant began to run after me! I am glad the road was straight because I was going about 20 mph in reverse while this elephant chased me. He was not going full speed so I hoped he would loose interest quickly. After about a quarter mile he stopped and turned his attention back to food. Ikept backing up and stayed quite a ways back. He eventually cleared the road and allowed me to continue on my leopard search.

Alas, there were no leopards to be found, but I did see the hippos out at the other watering hole. After watching the hippo adult chastise the babies I headed out of the park and drove right over a puff adder! Fortuantely the snake didn't move as I straddled it with my car. I backed up and was able to grab a few shots. At the time I didn't know what type of snake it was, only that it could kill me!

The last image is the front porch of my safari tent. The Impala were frequent guests and at night they woke me up as they ran by my tent, hooves thundering before the snorting and grunting of a very "enthusiastic" male Impala.

Enjoy the virtual safari!

No comments:

Post a Comment